The Roblox Developer Exchange Program (also known as DevEx) is a program that allows Roblox creators to exchange their Earned Robux for real money. While any creator can use Roblox Studio to learn to code, create experiences or items to enjoy with their friends, and even earn some Robux, only successful creators will be able to meet the high requirements (described below) to earn money through DevEx. Reaching this level of success typically requires a lot of time, effort, skill, and strategy. Even then, there is no guarantee of earning money. Regardless of goals, be it fun or career advancement, we offer creators what they need to start building for free at create.roblox.com.
Acceptance of Terms
DevEx Eligibility Requirements
Eligibility to participate in DevEx is solely up to Roblox, and the requirements may be changed by Roblox at any time by updating the DevEx Terms. To participate in DevEx you must meet all the following minimum requirements (“the DevEx Eligibility Requirements”):
- Be at least 13 years of age or older;
- Have at least 30,000 Earned Robux (defined below) in your account;
- Have a Roblox-verified email address;
- Have a Roblox-verified email address;
- Have a valid DevEx portal account;
- Have an IRS form W-9 (for U.S. taxpayers) or W-8 (for non-U.S. taxpayers) on file with Roblox;
- Comply with the Ongoing Service Requirements for Developers (described below); and
Amount eligible to cash out
We will determine how much you are eligible to Cash Out by totaling the amount of Robux earned (over the lifetime of the account) and subtracting the amounts previously paid out to you through DevEx.
Ongoing Service Requirements for Developers
- Update your Virtual Content for security and technical reasons and ensure your content complies with Roblox’s latest technical and security updates and best practices; and
- Assist Roblox upon request with legal requirements, such as removing Virtual Content that has been accused of violating copyright laws.
A “Cash Out” is an option to exchange your Earned Robux for U.S. dollars at the “Current Exchange Rate for Cash Out” set forth below, which rate is subject to change at any time by Roblox by updating the DevEx Terms. If you satisfy all the DevEx Eligibility Requirements, Roblox will decide in its sole discretion whether to offer you a Cash Out and how much you are eligible to receive in a Cash Out. Under normal circumstances, a Cash Out will total the amount of Earned Robux you obtained over the lifetime of the account minus all Earned Robux previously exchanged by you through DevEx and any Earned Robux you spent on the Services. Further information on the Cash Out process can be found at the DevEx help page. The following additional limitations apply to Cash Outs:
- The Current Exchange Rate for Cash Out is $0.0035U.S. Dollars per Earned Robux. Information on rates applicable to Robux earned before March 1, 2017 is available here.
- You are not allowed to initiate a Cash Out more than once a month.
- Eligibility to Cash Out is reviewed after you submit a request to Cash Out.
Acknowledgements and Further Agreements
In order to participate in DevEx, you further acknowledge and agree to the following:
- Clicking the “Cash Out” button does not guarantee that you are eligible to, in fact, Cash Out. When you click that button, Roblox will then determine whether you meet the DevEx Eligibility Requirements and whether to provide a Cash Out at Roblox's discretion.
- Prior to any payments being made, Roblox requires you to have an IRS form W-9 (for U.S. taxpayers) or W-8 (for non-U.S. taxpayers) on file with us. All payments made to U.S. users (other than for certain limited exceptions due to reporting requirements) will be reported to the IRS and to you using a form 1099. Payments made to non-U.S. users will not be reported to their home countries.
- Transaction fees are assessed on each payment (which will be paid from any amounts that would otherwise be owed to you hereunder). These fees are charged by our DevEx portal provider (Roblox does not assess any fees in addition to those charged by our provider), and vary depending on payment method chosen. Please see the DevEx portal for information regarding fee schedules.
- You are responsible for any taxes that may be owed due to a Cash Out. Roblox considers the Cash Out payments to be payments for the services you have provided. All participants (whether you live in the US or elsewhere) are responsible for ensuring that all payments received are reported to the proper taxing authorities. Income that Minors earn can impact their parents’ tax returns.
- We are not able to remit payments to certain countries, entities, or individuals because of legal or other considerations. But we are currently able to make payments to DevEx participants in over one hundred different countries. Check here to see if your country is on the list.
- If your Roblox account is inactive (i.e. no authenticated sessions on the Roblox platform) for a period of two and a half years or more, your account will be considered inactive and ineligible to participate in DevEx, and you will need to re-apply should you wish to participate again.