Roblox Community Rules
Roblox helps power the imagination of our users. Those users are of all ages and come from around the world to create adventures, play games, roleplay and socialize. We strive to create a community that balances the needs, safety and interests of this truly diverse user base.
To help achieve this goal, we put together these Rules, which apply to whatever you do on Roblox (whether playing, chatting, sending messages, posting comments, creating or publishing content, dressing up your avatar, and anything else in the games or on the platform). These Rules also apply to anything that you participate in the real world or online related to Roblox, such as the Roblox Developer Conference ("RDC"), Roblox developer chat channels and other online or offline events and gatherings hosted by or related to Roblox. Please remember to periodically review these Rules, as they will be updated from time to time.
As good members of the community, you should report all violations by using our Report Abuse system, which is located throughout the site and in-game.
- Guiding Principles
- Be friendly, patient, and welcoming. Support a safe environment and help us to ensure that everyone follows these Rules.
- Be respectful. Not all of us will agree all the time, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behavior and poor manners. We might all experience some frustration now and then, but we cannot allow that frustration to turn into a personal attack. It’s important to remember that a community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one.
- Be careful in the words that you choose. Be kind to others. Do not insult or put down other participants. Harassment and other exclusionary behavior aren’t acceptable.
- Try to understand why we disagree. Disagreements, both social and technical, happen all the time. It is important that we resolve disagreements and differing views constructively. Remember that we’re different. The strength of our community comes from its diversity, people from a wide range of backgrounds. Different people have different perspectives on issues. Being unable to understand why someone holds a viewpoint doesn’t mean that they’re wrong. Don’t forget that it is human to err and blaming each other doesn’t get us anywhere. Let's focus on working together to resolve issues and learning from mistakes.
These are the rules of conduct that everyone on Roblox must follow. Below are some specific examples. But, these are much broader than the examples below and you should stick to these Rules if you are uncertain as to whether any particular action is allowed.
- Personal information. We strongly encourage you to protect your personal information. In some cases (such as when you are under 13), we employ automated tools and other techniques so as to help comply with legal requirements concerning your personal information. In all cases, you are not allowed to share personal information of others. Personal information includes:
- Full name;
- Home or other address;
- Telephone number;
- Social security, passport, or national identity number;
- Other personally identifiable information.
- Harassment and cyberbullying. We do not tolerate this. Examples include comments or actions meant to:
- Stalk, bully, intimidate, hurt, attack, abuse or humiliate someone (or something that a person may care about). This includes using or encouraging the use of profanity (swearing);
- Reveal someone’s personal information;
- Sexualize someone or something, which would include sexual harassment and sexual bullying in any form;
- Harass or single out anyone (or something that a person cares about) for ridicule, abuse, malicious attack, or anything similar to that;
- Calling out bad behavior of others publicly. You should use our reporting tools on the site to let us know of any bad behavior;
- Incite others to do anything listed above.
- Child endangerment. We have users of all ages and we want to create safe environment for all of them, including children. So, we do not allow any actions that could put children in inappropriate or dangerous situations, including:
- Grooming and other predatory behavior;
- Anything that sexualizes children;
- Any other actions or comments that are listed in these Rules that are directed to or are about children.
- Hate speech or actions. You are not allowed to engage in discriminatory speech or actions, based on any of the following:
- Race or ethnic origin;
- National origin;
- Religion or religious affiliation;
- Disability or disease;
- Gender, gender identity or sexual orientation;
- Veteran status.
- Impersonation and defamation. We all treasure our identities and we don't want to be defamed. You are not allowed to impersonate another person’s identity, defame someone or commit libel. This would include impersonating another player, celebrity, a Roblox employee, the police, government official or anyone else. So, do not use of any of the following that is associated with someone else in order to pass yourself offas that person.
- Name or username;
- Position in a company;
- Digital representation;
- A post or comment;
- Personal information.
- Threats and self-harm. In the digital environment, it is hard to tell what is a joke or is serious. So, we take all threats seriously and do not allow any threats on Roblox. We also take reports of self-harm very seriously. We are in active communication with police departments across the globe and often report threats related to physical harm or public safety.
- Looking for dates or dating partners. As a social platform for play, Roblox tries to provide a safe place to meet on-line friends, play, chat, and collaborate on creative projects. However, this is not the place to look for dating partners.
- Sexual content or overly violent content. We do not allow such content, including:
- Sexual content or acts, sexual violence, exploitation of any kind, or excessive violence. This includes such content whether or not nudity is involved and whether or not it would rise to level of being pornographic or being explicit.
- Content that implies or makes an avatar appear naked or in underwear/undergarments
- Atrocities, massacres, and other shocking real (or pseudo-real) world events.
- Dangerous, unethical and illegal activities. Not only do we not allow these activities, we do not allow anyone discussing them or encouraging others to discuss (or take) such actions, including:
- Hacking, phishing, flaming, exploits, cheating, spam, deceptive practices, scams;
- Misleading, sexual or racy thumbnails or other images, videos or text;
- Gambling with Robux or real money;
- Terrorism, Nazism or Neo Nazism, organized criminal activity, gangs and gang violence;
- Instructions for engaging in violent activities, including bomb- or weapon-making
- Criminal activity;
- Illegal drugs or prescription drugs without a prescription;
- The use or sale of drugs, alcohol, or tobacco by minors;
- Blackmail or extortion.
- Discrimination. We explicitly honor diversity in age, gender, gender identity or expression, culture, ethnicity, language, national origin, political beliefs, profession, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and technical ability. We will not tolerate discrimination based on any of the protected characteristics above, including participants with disabilities.
- Other activities. We remind you of the Rules listed above. This list is not meant to be exhaustive. Here are a couple of other items to keep in mind:
- You may offer promo codes only for in-game items, content or currency in your games . Promo codes cannot promise Robux or digital goods that are not part of the game.
- Third parties sell or provide Game eCards (which are physical cards or digital items that provide a code that you can use to redeem Robux or other virtual items on Roblox). Those Game eCards have their own terms and conditions associated with them. If you want to sell, give away or do anything else with those eCards outside of Roblox (on an external website or social media channel), then we take no position as to those actions. However, we recommend you check the T&Cs of the eCard and place you want to do the action to see if that is allowed.
- Certain trades are allowed through Roblox. (Found by clicking on “Trade”on the toolbar). No other method of trading is permitted on or off Roblox.
- Certain minor violations will result in a warning or temporary ban.
- More serious violations will result in a permanent ban.
- We actively work with law enforcement agencies throughout the world, and regularly report illegal activity, threats to others, threats of self-harm and other relevant items to them.
- If you have multiple accounts, we reserve the right to take action against all of your accounts for any single or multiple violations.
- The account holder is responsible for all violations that occur on that person’s account. So, never give your password to anyone else (except if you are a minor, to your legal guardian).
- Do not discuss publicly any actions that we have taken against you or anyone else for a violation.
- If you have questions about any action that we have taken against your account for a violation, you can contact us at email@example.com.
- If you violate these Rules when participating in a life event organized by, or on behalf of Roblox, you may be sanctioned, or expelled from the event, at the discretion of the event organizers.
As a community, we strive to make Roblox a safe and enjoyable place for everyone and appreciate your efforts in helping us build this positive environment. These Community Rules for Developers outline the acceptable and appropriate ways to build and publish games on Roblox. If you have any questions about how to interpret these Rules and how they might apply to your particular case, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you know of anyone or any game that is violating these Rules, please report all violations by using our Report Abuse system, which is located throughout the site and in-game. Please remember to periodically review these Rules, as they will be updated from time to time.
Any attempt to violate or go around these Rules will result in the game being suspended or completely removed; the user account or group associated with the game may also be deleted. Roblox does hear appeals for moderation consequences on a case by case basis, but reserves the right to act on the matter in the way that it deems appropriate. If you would like to request an appeal, email email@example.com.
- Building your game. When building your game, it’s important to do the following:
- Filter all chat and text. Developers must pass all chat and/or game text through Roblox’s filtering system. Roblox scans all chat communication and player inputted text for the safety of our users and legal compliance reasons, including the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). All chat and content must also be reportable through the Report Abuse system.
- Keep your game description up-to-date.
- Enable users of your game to contact you so you can support your game.
- Don’t build a game that encourages (or redirects) users to go off Roblox.
- Do not ask for or collect (or allow the transfer between players in your game) any personally identifiable information (PII). For example, you should not ask for a player’s first and last name, age, home or physical address, something that contains a person’s image or voice (such as a photograph, video or audio file), social security number, passport number (or national identity number), phone number or email address (or other forms of online contact information).
- Do not implement any gambling or casino style games that involve real money in any way. This includes Robux, as Robux can be purchased for real money. Games should also be fair and not be skewed in the developer's favor.
- Do not create promotions offering prizes of any sort(including contests, raffles, lotteries, chain letters or any kind of giveaway). It is okay to offer players promo codes for in-game items only so long as they are not in exchange for something (e.g., in exchange for a thumb up on your game).
- Do not sell, trade or give away Roblox currency, digital goods or game codes outside of the channels provided to the users on the Roblox site. Third parties sell or provide eCards (which are physical cards or digital items that provide a code that you can use to redeem Robux or other virtual items on the Services). Those Game eCards have their own terms and conditions associated with them. If you want to sell, give away or do anything else with those eCards outside of Roblox (on an external website or social media channel), then we take no position as to those actions. However, we recommend you check with the terms of those eCards and place you want to take the actions.
- Assist with rolling out technical features and updates, which may be for security, stability, legal or other reasons, and may include updating your game or other content.
- Creating positive game experiences. When designing your game, focus on providing positive game experiences for our community (e.g., working in a pizza restaurant, building a theme park, etc.). You should encourage the proper use of your game and never directly or indirectly encourage inappropriate behavior. For example, experiences within a game should not have an inappropriate theme (sleepover/slumber parties), contain nude or partially clothed characters, or display suggestive animations. Below is a list of inappropriate behaviors (and please note this list is not comprehensive; you should think through if you are providing or promoting inappropriate behavior).
- Providing users’ personal information
- Harassment or bullying
- Using or encouraging the use of profanity (swearing)
- Child endangerment
- Hate speech or actions
- Impersonation and defamation
- Threats and self-harm
- Looking for dates or dating partners
- Sexual content or overly violent content
- Dangerous, unethical and illegal activities
- Content that implies or makes an avatar appear naked or in underwear/undergarments
- Using appropriate content. Inappropriate content is not allowed within Roblox games. Do not create or upload any images, videos, audio files or other content (including animations or scripting), discuss topics or use language that falls in the bulleted list above.
Roblox actively monitors game content and text. Some violations are blocked automatically through the use of filters and other detection systems. And we moderate and take other actions regarding content when flagged by our community.
- Any consequences applied to violators are at the sole discretion of Roblox and may range in severity from a warning to account deletion;
- Violations are dealt with in a manner that reflects the severity of the violation and the threat to the Roblox community.
- Reporting Issues. If you see another user or content on our site or in a game, please use the Report Abuse feature to file a report within our moderation systems. You can find the Report Abuse option within any game, chat or content on Roblox. Roblox employs both moderation technology systems and a team of moderators to pre-review content and reports of violations of our Rules of Conduct and Terms of Service. You can read more about our Report Abuse feature and how to block other users in our help article here: How to Report Rule Violations and Block a User.
When an abuse report is reviewed by a moderator, the moderator will remove any inappropriate content and place a moderation action against any associated account(s). The moderated account will receive a message detailing the reason for the ban. See also section 13. Consequences and Violations. Please note that for privacy reasons, specific details of an account or ban may only be shared with the account owner.
Last Updated: January 18, 2018