Roblox’s mission is to connect a billion people with optimism and civility. Every day, tens of millions of people around the world have fun with friends as they explore millions of immersive digital experiences. All of these experiences are built by the Roblox community, made up of millions of creators. We believe in building a safe, civil, and diverse community—one that inspires and fosters creativity and positive relationships between people around the world.
We’ve created these Community Standards to help ensure that everyone feels safe and welcome in our shared adventure. These Standards apply to all of your actions on Roblox and with other Robloxians, both online and at real-world events hosted by Roblox. For 17+ experiences, please see Roblox’s 17+ Policy Standards.
We ask that you respect our Standards and each other at all times — and understand that violating them may result in enforcement action against your account(s) and content. For some behavior that violates these Standards, such as behavior that poses a real-world risk to others, we reserve the right to contact or cooperate with the relevant authorities in order to keep everyone safe.
We appreciate your cooperation with these Standards and commitment to keeping Roblox safe and civil.
We want our community to be a place where people can connect with optimism and civility, regardless of their identity or beliefs. To ensure Roblox is a place where everyone feels comfortable being themselves, the following is not allowed:
- Any predatory behavior, including attempting to befriend a minor in order to manipulate and exploit them (i.e., grooming)
- Sexualizing minors in any way
- Engaging in sexual conversation with or soliciting sexual material from minors
- Sharing, requesting, or discussing child sexual exploitation material
Terrorism and Violent Extremism
- Depictions of or support for terrorist or extremist attacks
- Depictions of or support for the leaders or representatives of terrorist or extremist organizations
- Sharing the slogans, images, flags, manifestos, or icons of terrorist or extremist organizations, either in whole or in readily identifiable part
- References to the ideologies, messages, or strategies of terrorist and extremist organizations
- Expressing support, condoning, or glorifying terrorist extremist ideologies or actions
- Recruiting membership for a terrorist or extremist organization, or encouraging others to leave Roblox to find such information
- Fundraising for terrorist or extremist organizations, people, or supporting groups
- Expressing support, condoning, or glorifying mass shootings and other acts of domestic terrorism or violent extremism
Threats, Bullying, and Harassment
- Threatening physical or sexual assault or violence
- Threatening to harm someone in real life
- Threatening to reveal others’ personal information
- Threatening to take over another’s Roblox account or to file false abuse reports against another user
- Singling out a user or group for ridicule or abuse, either publicly or privately
- Sexual harassment
- Impersonating individuals, groups, or entities, in ways that may damage their reputation or cause others to harm them, either online or in real life
Suicide, Self Injury, and Harmful Behavior
- Describing methods for suicide or self-harm
- Content that glorifies, supports, or depicts instances or methods of suicide or self-harm
- Dangerous physical challenges or stunts in the real world
If you or a loved one are having thoughts of suicide or self-harm, there is help available. Reach out to a suicide prevention hotline like the one found here. For additional global resources, here is a good place to start.
Discrimination, Slurs, and Hate Speech
- Race, perceived race, or ethnicity
- National origin
- Sexual orientation
- Gender, gender identity, or gender expression
- Religion or religious affiliation or beliefs
- Disability status including diseases, bodily conditions, disfigurement, mobility issues, and mental impairment
- Physical or mental disability status
- Veteran status
- Familial status
Harmful Off-Platform Speech or Behavior
- Are associated with organized crime, terrorist or extremist organizations, or hate groups
- Harass, bully, discriminate, or harm others outside of Roblox
- Share others’ personal information off-platform, including making false reports to authorities
- Have been convicted of certain egregious crimes, engage in certain illegal activities, or encourage others to do so
Civility is at the core of the Roblox community. To promote our civil environment, Roblox prohibits certain types of content, including:
Real-World Sensitive Events
- Mass acts of violence against people or property
- Specific, real-world, natural disaster events
- Human or civil rights violations
Violent Content and Gore
- Animal abuse and torture
- Realistic or real-world depictions of extreme gore, graphic violence, or death
Romantic and Sexual Content
- Romantic or flirtatious gestures or communication between users in a romantic context
- Pursuing or soliciting romantic relationships online
- Engaging in unwanted flirtatious behavior
- Engaging in sexually explicit conversations or soliciting sexual material from other Robloxians
- Content that depicts, strongly suggests, or explicitly describes sexual acts
- Sexually suggestive avatar bodies and clothing items
For more information about creating Avatar Bodies that comply with these policies, including required use of modesty layers, please review the guidelines here.
Illegal and Regulated Goods and Activities
- Illegal and regulated drugs, including marijuana and the misuse of prescription or over the counter drugs
- Drug, tobacco, vaping, or other smoking paraphernalia
- Dietary supplements and enhancers such as weight loss pills and steroids
- Depictions of intoxicated behavior associated with consuming alcohol or drugs
- Bomb/explosive and weapon-making instructions or schematics in the real world
- Realistic modern firearms outside of in-experience items
- On-platform contests where Robux or anything else of value is offered as a prize
- Sweepstakes-style games
Except where prohibited by local law or regulation, we allow unplayable gambling content (e.g., showing a casino or non-playable characters playing cards) as well as games of luck and chance that are not casino or gambling based. However, experiences that include simulated gambling, including playing with virtual chips, simulated betting, or exchanging real money, Robux, or in-experience items of value are not allowed.
If you or someone you know is struggling with substance abuse, help is available. You can start here.
- Using misspellings, special characters, or other methods to evade detection of profanity
- Quoting or using audio containing profane lyrics
- Current candidates running for public office, including their slogans, campaign material, rallies, or events
- Political parties, including official party-affiliated organizations
- Specific races for elected office
- Sitting real-world elected officials
- Recent, previously-elected, officials in their official capacity
- Individuals who have previously run for political office in their capacity as candidate
- Desecration of political entity symbols, including flag burning
- Inflammatory content related to real world border, territorial, or jurisdictional relationships
We want Robloxians to trust each other to play fairly and honestly, and to respect one another’s creativity and hard work. To encourage this, Roblox requires its users to follow their local laws and prohibits or limits:
Cheating and Scams
- Using exploits to gain an unfair advantage anywhere on the platform
- Sharing exploits with others or encouraging others to cheat
- Selling items with misleading or inaccurate descriptions
- Misrepresenting your real or virtual world identity in an effort to mislead others
- Attempting to access another user’s account without their authorization
- Posting misleading links for the purpose of gaining unauthorized access to others’ accounts or information, either on Roblox or elsewhere (i.e., phishing)
- Deceptive, sensational, or otherwise misleading content or metadata used to inappropriately drive discoverability or engagement
- Repetitive messaging to other users or uploads to Roblox systems
- Creating experiences solely to direct users off Roblox
Intellectual Property Violations
- Using another developer’s code to create your experience without their permission
- Using another artist’s media in your experience without their permission
- Using a brand’s logo or designs for the content you create without their permission
For information on how to use Roblox’s name and logo, please see our Community Usage Guidelines.
Copyright and trademark takedown requests can be filed here.
You can learn more about intellectual property reporting on Roblox here.
- Developers must maintain full control of independent advertisement publishing. If a developer shows independent ads in their experience, that experience may not make programmatic calls to third-party advertising services.
- Developers are prohibited from showing advertising content to users under the age of 13. To accomplish this, developers must use Roblox tools such as the AreAdsAllowed boolean in PolicyService API to replace, hide, or block access to advertising content to any users who are disallowed from seeing ads.
Note: Applying a 13+ Experience Guideline does not hide ad content from users under the age of 13. All ad content must be hidden using the PolicyService API.
- Developers must clearly and prominently disclose to users when content is an advertisement using simple and understandable language. Reference to the name of an advertiser alone is insufficient. Examples of acceptable disclosure language include “ad,” “paid,” or “sponsored.” The disclosure should be in or near the advertising content and be presented in a way that is likely to be noticed and understood by users.
- Developers may not mislead users into thinking that they are engaging with Roblox served Ads.
- Developers may not reuse or repurpose Roblox Immersive Ad content.
- Advertisements cannot falsely represent the content being advertised to encourage user engagement (e.g., offer free Robux).
For more information on how to independently advertise, please see our Creator guidance here.
- Using third-party services to buy, sell, trade, or give away Robux. This does not apply to Roblox gift cards.
- Engaging in off-platform, secondary market transactions for account access or virtual content from experiences or Marketplace. This does not apply to account holders selling or transferring the rights to the account’s creations as part of a verifiable agreement.
- Using the group payout system in a fraudulent or misleading manner; including offering payment in Robux for acting as a model for assets, joining groups, referring members, or role-playing in experiences.
Promotional OffersDevelopers may not use off-platform services or products to sell on-platform items (including exclusive features or other in-experience enhancements) for money or Robux, either directly or as a bundle, unless expressly authorized by or in partnership with Roblox. Find more details on acceptable promo codes here.
Soliciting DonationsWe also don’t allow our community to solicit donations for a charitable cause on Roblox, including:
- In-experience prompts for users to donate Robux toward a crowdfunding campaign
- Claiming that a transaction is associated with a fundraiser
- Stating to users that some amount of sales proceeds will be directed toward a cause
Note: Developers may implement in-experience Robux transactions for users to express appreciation of the experience or generously reward a creator (e.g. a “tip jar” feature) as long as it is clear to the user that they receive nothing in return for their payment.
Paid Random ItemsPaid random item generators include those purchased with Robux directly or via in-experience currencies that are purchased with Robux.
- If paid random items are available in your experience, users may not trade or sell the resulting assets for Robux, real currency, or anything else of value on Roblox.
- Creators must use the applicable PolicyService API to ensure paid random items are only accessible by eligible users.
- The odds of receiving each possible resulting item must be accurately disclosed to the eligible user before the moment of purchase.
For our community to thrive, everyone must feel digitally safe as well as physically safe. We can achieve this by respecting each other’s personal information and Roblox’s safety systems, and by keeping Roblox accounts secure. This section describes how players and creators should treat others’ information and protect their own and others’ digital security.
To help maintain a safe metaverse, Roblox does not permit:
Directing Users Off-Platform
- Links that contain Roblox-inappropriate content
- Partial links, filter-breaking, and permitted website links to non-permitted websites
- Encouraging others to visit unpermitted external links
Note: For their privacy and safety, we prohibit users under age 13 from sharing links, regardless of API usage
Misusing Roblox SystemsRoblox maintains many systems to keep our users safe and secure, and we prohibit attempts to bypass these systems, gain unauthorized access to Roblox or to others’ Roblox accounts or information, or to otherwise violate our platform security requirements, including by:
Evading Safety and Security Systems
- Attempting to get prohibited content around our safety systems, including by hiding violative elements of assets
- Opening new accounts for the purpose of evading an enforcement action taken against a previous account
- Using VPNs to mask your location in order to gain unauthorized access to Roblox, including to a specific feature or account
- Offering access to your Roblox account or soliciting access to another’s Roblox account for the purpose of evading enforcement action or safety systems
- Failing to use required PolicyService APIs in your experience
Disruptive Content and Behavior
- Using bots that are programmed to run disruptive tasks
- Uploading content that contains obfuscated code or hidden scripts that mislead end users or create disruptive experiences for them
- Injecting background noise into underlying audio that makes the intended audio unintelligible
- Injecting excessive loudness, screaming, or harsh noises that disrupts others’ experience, either in uploaded audio or through chat with voice
- Falsely reporting other users or experiences or encouraging others to do so
- Invading or flooding experiences or groups in an effort to disrupt the experience or its reputation
For more information about creating Avatar Bodies that comply with these policies, including requirements for clothing and accessories, please review the guidelines here.
August 16, 2023
Update the following Community Standards
August 1, 2023
Update the following Community Standard
June 20, 2023
Added a reference and link in the introduction of the Community Standards to detailed 17+ Policy Standards.
Added detail for prohibited types of simulated gambling in Illegal & Regulated Goods & Activities.
Clarified language for prohibited types of account and content access, including limited exceptions, in:
Clarified language for Spam to be applicable across all content and data types on Roblox.
Effective June 20, 2023
March 15, 2023
Restructuring and consolidating categories of Community Standards from 30 categories to 20 categories, including:
Updating the Advertising section for Independent Advertisement Publishing to add the following requirements:
These policies are effective for advertising served through the Roblox ad system on March 15, 2023.