The following Community Guidelines apply to all Roblox users. We have separated them into Community Guidelines for Players and Community Guidelines for Developers for clarity but all Roblox users are expected to abide by both as well as the Terms of Service.
Roblox helps power the imagination of our players. Those players are of all ages and come from around the world to create adventures, play games, roleplay and socialize. We strive to create a community that balances the needs, safety and interests of this truly diverse user base.
To help achieve this goal, we put together these Guidelines, which apply to whatever you do on Roblox (whether playing, chatting, sending messages, posting comments, creating or publishing content, dressing up your avatar, and anything else in the games or on the platform). Please remember to periodically review these Guidelines, as they will be updated from time to time.
As good members of the community, you should report all violations by using our Report Abuse system, which is located throughout the site and in-game.
- Guiding Principle: Positive, friendly, legal and safe environment. This is the guiding principle that everyone on Roblox must follow. Below are some specific examples. But, the guiding principle is much broader than the examples and you should stick to that principle if you are uncertain as to whether any particular action is allowed.
- Personal information. We strongly encourage you to protect your personal information. In some cases (such as when you are under 13), we employ automated tools and other techniques so as to help comply with legal requirements concerning your personal information. In all cases, you are not allowed to share personal information of others. Personal information includes:
- Full name
- Home or other address
- Telephone number
- Social security, passport, or national identity number
- Other personally identifiable information
- Stalk, bully, intimidate, hurt, attack, abuse or humiliate someone (or something that a person may care about). This includes using or encouraging the use of profanity (swearing).
- Reveal someone’s personal information.
- Sexualize someone or something, which would include sexual harassment and sexual bullying in any form.
- Harass or single out anyone (or something that a person cares about) for ridicule, abuse, malicious attack, or anything similar to that.
- Calling out bad behavior of others publicly. (You should use our reporting tools on the site to let us know of any bad behavior.)
- Incite others to do anything listed above.
- Grooming and other predatory behavior
- Anything that sexualizes children
- Any other actions or comments that are listed in these Guidelines that are directed to or are about children
- Race or ethnic origin
- National origin
- Religion or religious affiliation
- Disability or disease
- Gender, gender identity or sexual orientation
- Veteran status
- Name or username
- Position in a company
- Digital representation
- A post or comment
- Personal information
- Sexual content or acts, sexual violence, exploitation of any kind, or excessive violence. This includes such content whether or not nudity is involved and whether or not it would rise to level of being pornographic or being explicit.
- Atrocities, massacres, and other shocking real (or pseudo-real) world events.
- Hacking, phishing, flaming, exploits, cheating, spam, deceptive practices, scams
- Misleading, sexual or racy thumbnails or other images, videos or text
- Gambling with Robux or real money
- Terrorism, Nazism or Neo Nazism, organized criminal activity, gangs and gang violence
- Instructions for engaging in violent activities, including bomb- or weapon-making
- Criminal activity
- Illegal drugs or prescription drugs without a prescription
- The use or sale of drugs, alcohol, or tobacco by minors
- Blackmail or extortion
- Do not post links to third party sites.
- As discussed in the General Terms, you cannot (and you cannot allow others to) sell, trade or give away Robux, digital goods or game codes outside Roblox.
- Third parties sell or provide Game eCards (which are physical cards or digital items that provide a code that you can use to redeem Robux or other virtual items on Roblox). Those Game eCards have their own terms and conditions associated with them. If you want to sell, give away or do anything else with those eCards outside of Roblox (on an external website or social media channel), then we take no position as to those actions. However, we recommend you check the T&Cs of the eCard and place you want to do the action to see if that is allowed.
- Certain trades are allowed through Roblox. (Found by clicking on “Trade” on the toolbar). No other method of trading is permitted on or off Roblox.
- The General Terms have many terms and conditions that you must follow to use Roblox. Please make sure you read those Terms.
- Certain minor violations will result in a warning or temporary ban.
- More serious violations will result in a permanent ban.
- If your violation is a serious one, we may not allow you to participate in our DevEx program and you may lose all rights to any Robux, virtual goods, or other items that you may have earned, purchased or otherwise acquired or Provided (as that term is defined in the General Terms) to us.
- We actively work with law enforcement agencies throughout the world, and regularly report illegal activity, threats to others, threats of self harm and other relevant items to them.
- If you have multiple accounts, we reserve the right to take action against all of your accounts for any single or multiple violations.
- The account holder is responsible for all violations that occur on that person’s account. So, never give your password to anyone else (except if you are a minor, to your legal guardian).
- Do not discuss publicly any actions that we have taken against you or anyone else for a violation.
- If you have questions about any action that we have taken against your account for a violation, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: March 1, 2017
- Building your game
- Creating positive game experiences
- Using appropriate content
As a community, we strive to make Roblox a safe and enjoyable place for everyone and appreciate your efforts in helping us build this positive environment. These Community Guidelines for Developers outline the acceptable and appropriate ways to build and publish games on Roblox. If you have any questions about how to interpret these guidelines and how they might apply to your particular case, please send them to email@example.com. If you know of anyone or any game that is violating these Guidelines, please report all violations by using our Report Abuse system, which is located throughout the site and in-game. Please remember to periodically review these Guidelines, as they will be updated from time to time.
Any attempt to violate or go around these Guidelines will result in the game being suspended or completely removed; the user account or group associated with the game may also be deleted. Roblox does hear appeals for moderation consequences on a case by case basis, but reserves the right to act on the matter in the way that it deems appropriate. If you would like to request an appeal, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Building your game
When building your game, it’s important to do the following:
- Filter all chat and text. Developers must pass all chat and/or game text through Roblox’s filtering system. Roblox scans all chat communication and player inputted text for the safety of our users and legal compliance reasons, including the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). All chat and content must also be reportable through the Report Abuse system.
- Keep your game description up-to-date.
- Enable users of your game to contact you so you can support your game.
- Don’t build a game that encourages (or redirects) users to go off Roblox.
- Do not ask for or collect (or allow the transfer between players in your game) any personally identifiable information (PII). For example, you should not ask for a player’s first and last name, age, home or physical address, something that contains a person’s image or voice (such as a photograph, video or audio file), social security number, passport number (or national identity number), phone number or email address (or other forms of online contact information).
- Do not implement any gambling or casino style games that involve real money in any way. This includes Robux, as Robux can be purchased for real money. Games should also be fair and not be skewed in the developer's favor.
- Do not create promotions offering prizes of any sort (including contests, raffles, lotteries, chain letters or any kind of giveaway). It is okay to offer players promo codes for in-game items only so long as they are not in exchange for something (e.g., in exchange for a thumbs up on your game).
- Do not sell, trade or give away Roblox currency, digital goods or game codes outside of the channels provided to the users on the Roblox site. Third parties sell or provide eCards (which are physical cards or digital items that provide a code that you can use to redeem Robux or other virtual items on the Services). Those Game eCards have their own terms and conditions associated with them. If you want to sell, give away or do anything else with those eCards outside of Roblox (on an external website or social media channel), then we take no position as to those actions. However, we recommend you check with the terms of those eCards and place you want to take the actions.
- Assist with rolling out technical features and updates, which may be for security, stability, legal or other reasons, and may include updating your game or other content.
Creating positive game experiences
When designing your game, focus on providing positive game experiences for our community (e.g., working in a pizza restaurant, building a theme park, etc.). You should encourage the proper use of your game and never directly or indirectly encourage inappropriate behavior. For example, experiences within a game should not have an inappropriate theme (sleepover/slumber parties), contain nude or partially clothed characters, or display suggestive animations. Below is a list of inappropriate behaviors (and please note this list is not comprehensive; you should think through if you are providing or promoting inappropriate behavior).
- Personal information
- Harassment or bullying
- Using or encouraging the use of profanity (swearing)
- Child endangerment
- Hate speech or actions
- Impersonation and defamation
- Threats and self harm
- Looking for dates or dating partners
- Sexual content or overly violent content
- Dangerous, unethical and illegal activities
Using appropriate content
Inappropriate content is not allowed within Roblox games. Do not create or upload any images, videos, audio files or other content (including animations or scripting), discuss topics or use language that falls in the bulleted list above.
Do not upload or use content or materials that you do not own or have permission from the owner to use. If we are notified that your uploaded content violates another’s intellectual property rights, we will block or remove that content without notice and follow the process set out in our General Terms.
Roblox actively monitors game content and text. Some violations are blocked automatically through the use of filters and other detection systems. And we moderate and take other actions regarding content when flagged by our community.
- Any consequences applied to violators are at the sole discretion of Roblox and may range in severity from a warning to account deletion
- Violations are dealt with in a manner that reflects the severity of the violation and the threat to the Roblox community
Last Updated: March 1, 2017