Gear are items that can be used to add a wide variety of different actions and abilities in the experiences that allow them.
There are many other kinds of Virtual Gear that are available for purchase using Robux that can be found in the Catalog.
Since there are so many different things that different Gear can do, they have been broken down into the following Gear Attribute Types:
- Melee Weapons - Weapons that do damage up close
- Ranged Weapons - Weapons that do damage from a distance
- Explosives - Tools that explode doing damage within a specified area
- Powerups - Items that can be used to enhance your avatar
- Navigation Enhancers - Tools that can be used to help you get around a place such as wings or spring shoes
- Musical Instruments - Items that produce sound and music
- Social Items - Items that are just for fun
- Building Tools - Tools used to build in online places
- Personal Transport - Personal vehicles, such as cars and skateboards
The Gear's Attribute Type can be found on its details page underneath the item's description.
Beyond the Gear Attribute Type, there are also a series of genres that gear and experiences can fall into. While a spooky rusted sword is definitely a melee weapon, it might feel out of place in a bright and cheery atmosphere but would feel very at home in a spooky horror experience. As a result, Experiences, and Gear are given genres to help them match a desired look and feel. The possible genres are:
- Town and City
The Gear's Genre can also be found on its details page underneath the item's description.
Some developers may have a specific vision for the world they have crafted and, as a result, may wish to not allow certain types of gear to be used in their experiences. In these cases, they may block some or all gear from being used.
To see what types of gear are allowed in a particular experience, do the following:
- Load that experience's individual details page (it should look like the image above)
- Check the lower right section titled Allowed Gear Types
- Look at the icons representing which types of gears can be used
If you are unsure what an icon means, you may hover your mouse over it to show what it represents. If, however, you see the icon that looks like a dotted box with an X in it (), then that experience is not allowing the use of gear.