Sometimes you may find that you want to start a new game but would like to edit a previously existing game to save yourself some time. You may also just wish to copy one of your games to another account. The following steps will help you do these things.
How to Copy Your Own Game
- Run Roblox Studio
- Log into your account within Studio
- Click on My Games
- Find the game you want to copy, click it and then click Edit on the bottom of the screen
- Once you are editing the game you can copy two ways:
- If you would just like a backup saved to your computer, choose File > Save As
- If you would like to upload a copy of the game to Roblox, choose File > Publish to Roblox As, and upload over an existing game or create a new one
Note: To copy the game to one of your other accounts, choose the Save As method of step 5. Once the game is saved, log out of Studio and then log back in as your new account. You can then use Publish to Roblox as to upload to that account.
How to Use Someone Else's Copying Allowed Game as a Template
You may see a game that you think would work as a good starting point for your own game. The good news is that some builders encourage you to use their games for this purpose! However, a game can only be copied if the notice "This game's source can be copied" is listed on the game's About tab. Please see our help article about how to allow or disallow copying of your game for further details.
If the game is allowed to be copied, then the following steps will help you use it as a starting point for your own game:
- Go to the game's details page
- Click on the icon that looks like three dots to the upper-right of its title
- Click Edit in the menu that pops up
- This will open the game in Studio where you can do one of two things:
- Choose File > Save As, and save the game to your computer. You can then edit the game to your liking.
- Choose File > Publish to Roblox As and then either upload over an existing game or create a new one.
Note: Before deciding to publish a copied game, be sure to first ask permission from the creator. If the player's game is not allowed to be copied, and you want to make your own version, be sure to ask the creator for permission first. It's polite.