The Roblox Community is made up of players and developers of all ages. We work hard to create an environment that is safe an fun for all of our users. To aid in this process, we provide our users and their parents with numerous parental controls and safety features.
Chat and privacy
All chat on Roblox is filtered to prevent inappropriate content and personally identifiable information from being visible on the site. Players will have different safety settings and experiences on Roblox, based on the date of birth set on the account.
Players age 12 and younger have their posts and chats filtered both for inappropriate content and behavior, and to prevent personal information from being posted. Players age 13 and older have the ability to say more words and phrases than younger players, but inappropriate chat and sharing personal information is restricted regardless of age. This filtering system covers all areas of communication on Roblox, public and private.
To help parents determine a player's expected experience based on their age group, all Roblox accounts list the age bracket of the account in the upper-right corner of the navigation bar as either 13+ or <13 depending on the date of birth. This is also displayed while in a game. An account's age group is not displayed to other players and is only visible to the account user while logged in.
Accounts, both under and over the age of 13, have the ability to limit or disable entirely who can chat with them both on the site or in-game, who can send them messages, and who can follow them into games or invite them to VIP Servers.
To adjust the chat and interaction settings of your child's account:
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner and click Settings.
- On the right hand side of the Settings page click the Privacy option which will take you to the Privacy Settings page.
- Here you can adjust the Contact Settings and Other Settings.
- Players age 12 and younger can select either Friends or No one, while players age 13 and older have additional options on who can interact with them.
For more parental control there are additional Account Restrictions and PIN settings that can be adjusted from within the Security tab of the Account Settings page.
- Account Restrictions: All users have the option to enable Account Restrictions which limit the account to curated content (such as when viewing available games) on the platform and disables the Contact Settings, meaning that others will not be able to message or chat with the account.
- Account PINs: Users and their parents may also enable an Account PIN which requires a 4-digit code to make changes to the account.
Note: Selecting No one for chatting in app will disable the Team Create option in Roblox Studio.
How can I see what my child is doing on Roblox?
Roblox does have several ways to see the history for certain account activities. When logged in, you can view the following histories from their related sections:
- Creations such as games, items, sounds, ads...etc (Create)
- Private message history (Messages)
- Friends and Followers (Friends)
- Virtual item purchase and trade history (My Transactions)
- To view the account's website chat history with other players, you will need to open the Chat & Party window, located in the bottom-right of the page. Once this window is opened, you may click on any of the listed users to open a window with the chat history with that particular account.
Blocking users and reporting abuse
An account is able to block other users that may be harassing, bullying, or spamming, regardless of age. For more information on this feature, please read the How to Block Another User help article, as well as how to report rule violations to our moderation team, please read the How to Report Rule Violations help article.
Enable 2-step verification (2SV)
Please be sure to enable 2-Step Verification as an added security measure for your account. This feature can be found in your Account Settings Security tab. For more information, please see our FAQ article with all the details of this great security feature.
Parents, learn more about how we keep kids safe and our parental controls with our Parents Guide.