Please read the following information if you’re experiencing graphics issues with Roblox.
Common Issues That Indicate a Graphics Problem
- A "graphics card is too old" error appears when trying to launch games
- Roblox crashes during game play and reports a graphics error
- Receiving Message: “Graphics failed to initialize”
- All games look unusual while playing, such as strange looking textures, image warping or unintelligible text
Why It Happens
- Computer does not have the latest version of DirectX (Roblox requires v9 or later)
- Graphics card does not have the latest drivers
- Graphics card is not supported by Roblox (rarely the case)
- Player has changed Roblox graphics settings
What to Do
Try the following, one step at a time. After each step, see if the problem is still there. If it is, keep going.
Reset Roblox Graphics
This is only appropriate if you can actually start Roblox without crashing
- Open Roblox Studio
- Open the File menu, and click on Settings
- Click OK to proceed
- Click the Reset All Settings button, located at the lower-left of the pop-up window.
Test Your DirectX Package
If you have Windows 7 or newer, you probably have DirectX 10 or a later version. Just in case, do the following:
- Start > Run or hold down your keyboard's Windows key and hit S (Windows 8/8.1/10)
- Type dxdiag and hit Enter on your keyboard
- Review your "DirectX Version" , located at the bottom of System Information, to ensure it is DirectX 10 or later
Please also open the "Display" (or "Display 1") tab. In this tab, there are three lines in "DirectX Features" box: DirectDraw Acceleration, Direct3D Acceleration and AGP Texture Acceleration. Confirm that all 3 are enabled. If they are not, then you will want to be sure that hardware acceleration is fully enabled. For assistance with this please visit the help section of your graphics card manufacturer's website.
Upgrade DirectX if Necessary
If you don’t have the latest version of DirectX, then you can try upgrading directly or from the website by clicking here.
Lower Your Display's Color Quality
It's possible your graphics card can't support 3D rendering at the color quality you use for normal desktop operation. You can try lowering the bit depth to 16 bits, to see if that helps.
Upgrade Your Graphics Card Driver
To find out what graphics card Roblox is currently using, please try the following:
- Open Roblox Studio
- Open the Studio Settings
- Click on Diagnostics
- Scroll down to find the line labeled GfxCard
- This will list what graphics card is currently in use by Roblox
Please visit the support page provided by the manufacturer of your graphics card, and download the latest driver for your particular model.